Build Your Email List Now
When it comes to your holiday campaign, we don’t want you to get the same results as you did last year. Even if they were good, great, or the best you ever had. We want you to do better – for your beneficiaries’ sake.
How are you going do that? Build your email list now. The fact is that the more people you have on your list, the more money you will raise*. Ready to start list-building?
Here are our top tips for list building campaigns:
- Invest in online advertising to help drive people to your website or campaign page. Have you applied for a Google Grant yet? If not, hjc can help you with that. It’s a great opportunity for free advertising!
- Think about using incentives such as free eCards, downloadable resources, or an invitation to a webinar to encourage people to sign up for your list. (People join new lists because there is incentive. Think less mission-driven and more about what’s in it for the prospect.)
- Use pledges or petitions. They’ll reach people who care about your cause but may not have necessarily known about your organization.
- Consider renting lists. Companies like Care2 and Change.org provide the opportunity to rent lists of people who have identified that they care about similar causes.
- Try a homepage hijack. It’s a simple pop-up that takes over your homepage and asks for email information up front. They work well with all of the recommendations above.
Growing your list will impact your future campaigns.
20% of people who created a dove ended up giving to end of year – much better than the average 0.07% response rate!
In 2012, Princess Margaret Cancer Foundation decided to leverage their holiday campaign to grow their email list. Dovesofhope.ca allowed individuals to create and send a virtual dove without making a donation. Then, this new list was asked to make a donation at the end of the year (between December 25th and January 1st). The result: 20% of people who created a dove ended up giving to end of year – much better than the average 0.07% response rate!
*Consider Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for email marketing/fundraising. Check out the benchmark studies here and here . If 20% of your list opens an email, and of those people, 0.01% make a donation, naturally, the more people you have on your list, the more money you’ll raise (with some exceptions).